Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Oh, another thing about I Robot

I saw it at the Grove and of course, prior to the movie, they had Manny the stunt worker up on screen talking about why we shouldn't pirate movies.  I hate that sentimental piece of garbage, and pretty much all pre-movie non-preview fare, in general.  I was in a mood and let out a BOOO when Manny was up there, not so much because I'm in favor of pirating movies, but mostly because I find it completely annoying and condescending.

But something crazy happened, and I don't think it was a reaction to my BOO - when the part which flashes across the screen - "Put an end to movie piracy.  Movies - they're worth it." Some people cheered.  I've never heard people cheer that lousy commerical before.  I was shocked.  So I BOOOed louder.  Some people laughed.

I need to articulate - at another time - why this commerical and general attitude bugs me so much.  I guess it's the idea of movies as product and commodities just to be bought and sold and owned and everything, instead of stories to be told.  In the long run what does it matter that a film makes a google-plex of dollars if the story sucks.  Like I said, more later.

No comments: