Saturday, July 17, 2004

Movie List
 
Inspired by Cinema Parlour, I'm keeping an online list of films that I want to see....they will tend to be more obscure films, as those are the ones one needs to "remember" to see, versus the ones that grab your attention at the video store.  Hence, Confessions of A Teenage Drama Queen will not be on the list, despite my affinity for Lindsey Lohan.  Pretentious, yes!  Arrogant, yes!  Remind me again are wrong with those things...
 
1.  Unman, Wittering, and Zigo (1971) - Directed by John Mackenzie who made one of my favorite films, the Long Good Friday, this film is about a British public school teacher (that's the same as private school in America) who thinks his predecessor was murdered by his students.  1971.  In general, I think British film gets the shaft a little bit - I love those 60s and 70s British gangsta films, the Long Good Friday, Italian Job, Get Carter...
 
2.  Gimme Shelter (1970) - Alright, it's not really obscure, but I've wanting to see this film for like 10 years and still haven't gotten around to it.  A concert gone horribly wrong and for anyone whose been to a Stones concert - fucking A man, that band rocks!  And the title is probably my favorite Stones song...
 
3.  The Great Ecstasy of Woodcarver Steiner (1974) - Documentary by Werner Herzog "If Walter Steiner had not existed, Werner Herzog would have had to invent him. Steiner is the quintessential Herzog hero, an obsessed individual, so confident in his own abilities that he transcends the human condition, becoming answerable to no one except possibly God."  Sold.
 
4.  Before Sunrise (1995)- I admit to never having heard of this film until before Before Sunset came out - but tons of people are coming clean with me and letting me know how freaking awesome this movie is.  Linkletter is going up, up, up in my book of cool filmmakers.  See School of Rock.
 
5.  Stranger Than Paradise (1983) - I admit to not having loved the Jarmusch movies I've seen thus far, Ghost Dog and Dead Man, but I've seen clips of this film and it looked awesome, so I need to check it out. 
 
6.  The Wedding Party (1969) - DeNiro's first film, directed by Depalma.  I just saw Sisters and loved it.  Found out Depalma went to a small Quaker school, which is funny cause a lot of my family is Quaker and my 508 was filmed in a Quaker house.
 
And this list will grow

No comments: