Friday, July 09, 2004

Been Lame

Literally, my computer was infected with too much adware and I had to do a reformat of the hard drive. Don't know if that's the only way to fully get rid of that shit, but it's what I did...

Some interesting news from the last couple of days...

I'm admittedly a snoot about internet dating, but honestly, I think this news will help me get over it.

Women cheating are getting a lot of attention by the press these days. It doesn't surprise me...it reminds me of a funny question I used to ask: who has more sex, men or women? Uhhh, well, it has to be the same, right? (regular hetero, no orgy, sex I mean....errrr, what do you mean, regular....ohhh, you know what I mean, jerk off)

But that's not all, on Howard Stern today, men were going nuts over this book on how to break up with your wife which is not being sold in a lot of bookstores. Remind me, I need to find a link on how to buy it - and then buy it. I'm telling you, the gays got it all wrong wanting this marriage thing...

And we had another cinema parlour last night at Andy's frat house. We watched Scarecrow a 1973 movie with Al Pacino and Gene Hackman, directed by some guy name Jerry Schlozberg or something...some of the folks liked it. It reminded me of the King of Marvin Garden's a Bruce Dern, Jack Nicholson, Robert Towne film that was boring beyond belief. The 70s was a great decade of film in America, but it's worth remembering the bad with the good. For Chinatown, there was the King of Marvin Garden's and for the Dog Day Afternoons and French Connections, there is Scarecrow....

It was boring. Two guys join up together hitchiking from Cali to back Pittsburg. It's mostly about their relationship and their dreams, Al plays this funny-guy (who wasn't really funny) and Gene this tough guy out of prison, with a dream of opening a carwash. It's rather plotless and they try to make it to Pittsburg, travelling like beats twenty years after On the Road. Oh, go on, point out Easy Rider had no plot, 5 Easy Pieces had no plot, but whatever...how to prove that it was a bad movie. The proof is in the pudding...it didn't work for me, no big loss. But it does remind me that for how the 70s is romanticized as a "Decade under the Influence," they managed to churn out a lot of cheap crap themselves...crap isn't exclusive to hollywood.

One interesting thing from a cultural perspective, is that during the 70s they depicted more laborers and lower class folks whereas today the majority of films depict professionals of one sort or another. Somebody ought to do an emperical study and hypothesize why that is.

No comments: