Monday, May 03, 2004

On Saturday night I drove out to Claremont for Alumni weekend at Pomona College. A bunch of friends of mine had their five year reunion this year (mine's next year). I went for a mixture of reasons, to see some friends, to scout out the reunion atmosphere. Nothing much happened. I saw some old faces, felt a little out of place, since I wasn't "Class of 99." There wasn't much rah-rah. A lot of guys got engaged this past year.

Reunions seem to me more ripe for a setting of a story than a truly interesting event. A couple guys had porked up a lot. The college girls looked better than I remember them. I felt oddly the same about myself...just a little more competent in general, that's about it.

It did make me appreciate what a great place Pomona was, a campus where most of the students live on-campus, a safe, beautiful place, where people can try to figure themselves out academically, socially, politically, whatever. One doesn't need a car to survive, which in California, is rare.

Anyway, it was something to do.

No comments: