Monday, May 24, 2004

Gmail vs. Hotmail

To put things in perspective, I just sent myself a big data file from work to my gmail account - it took up 4MB. This file is too big for my entire free hotmail account, which I believe is 2MB. For 59.95 a year, I can upgrade to a "super" hotmail account and get 100MB of storage. I have thought of upgrading in the past...

In any case, this semi-large file plus all my other emails in my gmail account still account for 0% of my storage capacity. That's right, 0%! The storage capacity is 1000MB. That is 500 times as large as my hotmail and is 10 times as large as the super hotmail account - and it's free.

I like gmail thus far. It works more like a database application than a traditional email system, which I'm used to working with. You can run searches on lines from emails and it'll drag it up - just like the Find function on a word document, but it'll search every single email in your whole account.

Also, for sorting email, you tag messages. Messages don't exist in one place or another, they exist in a single place, but can be filtered by the tag. It runs similar to Microsoft Access Queries.

I've yet to see the downside, I'm still getting used to the format on the screen and it's functionability...but it seems fine thus far.

No comments: