Tuesday, May 11, 2004

Andy Warhol would love this - pre-fab modern housing.

This idea sounds amazing to me. I mean, there's a certain romance to having your own unique looking house, but I love my car, and there's nothing unique to it...plus in the end, the idea of housing being affordable deeply resonates with me.

For the first time in awhile, I've notice cool neat things become cheaper and cheaper. First, blogging and information availability. The internet has made it cheaper (free) and easier to get information. That, to me, is amazing. Also, digital video. I believe that a new kind of filmmaking is on the horizon, one in which the artist is able to write with video like a pen, freed from the constraints of large equipment and crews. What will come of this? Who knows, but it'll sure be exciting. Two-buck chuck at Trader Joes - it's democratizing wine drinking.

And now housing, along with music...what's next? Education, possibly, especially text books?

Gosh, if it weren't for international terrorism, I'd say things are headed in the right direction - how cool would it be to actually decrease the cost of living? Imagine how much aggregate freedom could be gained by more affordable ways of living - cheap, owned homes, Trader Joes food, a 5000 camera/computer/software set up that can make films....imagine the possibilities of living a rewarding life, not needing to devote oneself to making money to support a family. We may be poorer money-wise than our parents generation, but we could live richer, more fullfilled lives.

Wouldn't that be interesting?

No comments: