Wednesday, May 05, 2004

Have I become super racist or am I the only one who thinks the Iraqi prisoner abuse isn't the biggest deal in the world? It seems to me only signficant insofar as it demonizes the US as an abusive oppressor. I mean, I feel the same way about it as the college hazing incidents, or police brutality, which hardly amount to an international outrage, sick and twisted as they are.

How about the Sudan comparing genocide to prisoner abuse.

The glee with which people cling to this prisoner abuse reminds me of the ugly side of myself who can sometimes feel relieved when a classmate makes a poor movie. It enables me to say, gee, my movie is better than that piece of crap. This of course, happens all in my head, and I hate it when it happens, because it is the worst side of myself. As Chuck says, "I really, really don't want to be a hater."

Maybe the world deserves an isolationist and less powerful US. I doubt it would be better off.

No comments: