Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Technology

In the law, they distinguish between different types of speech. Certain speech, such as political speech and newspapers are more protected than say, advertising speech by the First Amendment. I think we need something similar for technology to distinguish between important, useful technology and unimportant, time wasting technology. Why do we need such a distinction? Because I believe we fetishize the "new" as if technology is a cure-all solution to human problems. Also, there is a temptation to think technology is useful merely because it exists, but this is certainly not the case. In many cases, technology can be a step backwards. A few cases to illustrate my point--

1. 3D in movie theaters and televisions. 3D sucks. It is a less pleasurable consumer experience than 2D and only in rare exceptions is worth the additional cost. Yet, we have invested tons of time and money into making theaters compatible and consumers pay for this with surcharge ticket prices. The movie business is losing audience with the combination of the stupid 3D glasses and extra prices of tickets.

2. Facebook. It is totally unclear to me what problem Facebook has solved. Prior to Facebook, was there a pressing need for people to view other people's pictures more immediately? As far as I can tell, Facebook is at best, a new layout for email and at worst, a horrible time sucking, mind numbing, life wasting activity.

And then, a few things to think about in terms of amazing technology that we totally take for granted:

1. Indoor plumbing. Amazing. Water available at the flip of a switch. Toilets. Warm showers. Imagine how much indoor plumbing has improved the length of life and health of millions of people in each generation. I don't think this is properly appreciated. Just go camping for 5 days to test my theory. See what you miss first - Facebook, 3D, or indoor plumbing.

2. Dishwasher. I don't have one, which is how I know how important it is. My twin goals for wherever I live next - a porch where I can set up a BBQ and a Dishwasher.

No comments: