Friday, May 20, 2011

Michael Jordan

I recently watched his much maligned Hall of Fame speech. I did not find it offensive and am puzzled with the hullabaloo surrounding it. Reading about Phil Jackson after the Lakers defeat and how he put to rest the question years ago about Kobe vs. Jordan by saying "there will never be another Michael," prompted me to want to watch it. Someone asked Phil about Jordan's hall of fame speech and he said, "that was Michael."

So I watched it. Basically, he talked about competitiveness. The central focus of his speech was on the competition throughout his life and what drove him to achieve such great heights. I found it rather interesting. And I like it all the more for Phil acknowledging that it was a true glimpse into Jordan's character. What would people have preferred? Some mealy-mouthed graciousness? Boring.

Personally, I never found Jordan all that compelling. I didn't like his style of basketball - the subjugation of the team to the will of the individual. But for some reason now, I'm finding him interesting and I want to read Halberstam's book about Jordan and his relentless competitive drive.

No comments: