Friday, May 27, 2011

Losing Libraries?

I've just rediscovered them. Now that I work from home, I'd estimate I go to the library once or twice a week. Usually to write, but also sometimes just to check out books. The Santa Monica library system is awesome. The main library is a great building (with a yummy cafe) and lots of little nooks to plop down and work. It has a great book and dvd selection and I'll often check things out just because I'm curious. I've gotten into this habit of kindling a sample chapter of a book (for free) to see if I want to read it and then going to the library and checking it out. Then there are a couple other branches, one very close to my house down on Ocean Park. It is tiny, but still, it has books I want to read. I just walk down there and pick them up. It gets me out of the house. It's an awesome rediscovery for me (and maybe a little bit of an internet protest) and it don't cost shit.

UPDATE: There are a lot of kids at the library and also a lot of homeless people at the main library. The homeless issue is probably the biggest problem. Weird dudes just sit there staring at the wall, doing nothing and creeping people out. I think if they just picked up a magazine or book they'd be almost charming. Self improvement and all.

No comments: