Monday, May 09, 2011

The Future

Wow. 3 OT game. OKC vs. Memphis. It looked like the future of the NBA to me. Those two teams really slugged it out. OKC pulled it out but Westbrook and Durant were expending every last ounce of energy in the OTs. Those guys are going to be dead next game. I don't see how they aren't. Especially Westbrook. OKC has a problem. They don't play as a team. All their shots come off one-on-one dribble plays. And Westbrook looks like he's got the beginnings of a Kobe-syndrome (without the jump shot). He played great tonight when he drove to the basket and the Memphis D was totally concentrated on Durant. But still, he plays reckless and I think a little crazy. And he doesn't strengthen the guys around him. He needs to watch Chris Paul tapes. Or even Nash tapes. Just to see how those guys set other guys up. Sure, he's faster and stronger than both of those guys, but he doesn't see the floor. I can see Durant-Westbrook turning into a Kobe-Shaq like feud in the future.

Memphis. What can I say? They play awesome basketball. I guess they remind me a little of the Spurs in their workmanlike approach, but I find them much more fun to watch. They are versatile and move the ball on offense really well. They lack the athleticism of OKC, but man, they play well. Even OJ Mayo, who I never expected to be much more than just a big scorer on a shitty team, has turned into a really solid shot maker and a key component to their offense.

I honestly have no idea who is going to win this series.

No comments: