Saturday, October 02, 2010

The Social Network

Take away Fincher's camera-work. Take away the snappy Aaron-Sorkin-on-speed-talking past one another dialog. What do you have here? A CBS movie of the week. Similar to The Pirates of Silicon Valley and the Jay Leno vs. Dave Letterman mini series. I can't figure out if I'm missing something here. Is it just me or are guys in their early 20s insufferable bores? Maybe this was whole point of the movie.

I did like the twins...but really...who prefaces sentences with "I'm 6'5" 220..." And I'm sorry, but why did the cute Asian chick turn batshit crazy all of sudden? That seemed like a bit of a cheat to me.

The movie confirmed my initial impression of facebook - as an internet dating site in disguise. I suppose you can argue it has become something else. But I'm not so sure. The answer posed by his comrade in the movie remains unanswered: how do you monetize it? Ads, Ads, Ads. There is no other way. No one would ever pay for facebook.

Onto other things...the preview of the Tourist looks really good. It strikes me that Johnny Depp might be the one movie star who can still carry a movie. Then again, I liked The Town preview and the movie was terrible. True Grit also looks awesome. The audience in the theater applauded for the g-damn preview. You tell me Westerns are dead? I'll tell you what ought to be dead: Katherine Hiegel. Oh what a raging bore. This girl has been the lead in more romantic comedies in the past 5 year period - someone ought to do a count of her vs. Julia Roberts in her prime. Yet these movies look terrible. I saw "The Awful Truth" with Gerrard Butler - still one of the worst movies in recent memory.

Last thing - am I off - is The Social Network to be viewed not as a CBS movie of the week docu-drama, but a cautionary tale of ambition, youth, and arrogance, the "Citizen Kane" of our age? I simply don't know. But I've been on record - Kane is an overrated. Perhaps the most overrated of all time.

1 comment:

andy v said...

I really liked Pirates of Silicon Valley.