Friday, October 01, 2010

I'm Confused

Was just watching some of Gloria Allred's press conference on Meg Whitman. I'm totally baffled by this case. As far as I can tell, the argument on behalf of the illegal alien housekeeper is "Meg Whitman knew I was an illegal immigrant and continued to pay me a salary." Am I the only one who is totally puzzled? If the housekeeper was so concerned about Whitman's compliance with immigration law...why didn't she just go back to Mexico? Why didn't she say to Whitman, "You know, I'm illegal, maybe I should go back to Mexico and you should hire a legally documented worker." Why would she wait until 3 weeks before Whitman is running for governor to come out with this goofy case?

Please note, I have no idea if the housekeeper is from Mexico, so please feel free to flog me in the comments.

The other thing - why would Whitman knowingly hire an illegal alien? Gloria Allred says it is because they are easier to exploit. Now I understand a regular ole upper middle class couple making 200,000 Gs a year and paying for two kids in college trying to go cheap on the help. But does she realize how much frigging money Meg Whitman has? She's like a multi-billionaire. She has the kind of money where generations after her don't need to worry about money. She has wealth beyond what most of us can fathom. She has what Hollywood calls "fuck you money" times a million. I'm serious about this. She has spent $100 million on this campaign alone. And so Gloria Allred is arguing Whitman hired an illegal alien knowingly to save...what...10,000 a year? At most.

I swear to God it wouldn't surprise me if Whitman hired Allred to bring this case up. It is making her look better.

No comments: