Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Hurt vs. Injured

NFL is looking into cracking down on head to head and other vicious hits.

They should. No one could watch the replays of the hits on Jackson and the Browns receiver right over the middle and think that is acceptable. Those are blind receivers being slammed with incredible force right to their brains. In some respects, hits like those are worse than boxers taking punches, which at least they ought to be slightly prepared for and both parties aren't moving at such speeds.

Harrison makes a fair and good point: he wants to hurt the other player when he hits him, but he doesn't want to injure him. That is a fine distinction I myself have never made, although I know exactly what he is talking about. I played soccer, not football, and going into to tackles, I certainly want to make the other player feel it. That's part of the game - part of the good part.

No comments: