Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Falling Down

BEST JOB WALK-OFF EVER?: A JetBlue flight attendant fed up with a rude passenger took to the airplane's PA system to cuss out the man, then grabbed two beers, activated, and slid down the emergency inflatable slide, and went home Monday. As the plane was landing, the passenger sprung up to get his baggage from the overhead bin; flight attendant Steven Slater told him to sit down, and the man refused. The baggage fell on Slater's head, but instead of apologizing, the passenger cussed at him. So Slater grabbed the microphone and said, "To the passenger who called me a motherfucker, fuck you I've been in the business 28 years. I've had it. That's it." Slater slid away and drove home, where he was arrested on charges of criminal mischief, reckless endangerment and trespassing. Several Facebook pages have popped up supporting Slater and his I-can't-take-it-anymore act, the kind most Americans have only dreamed of.


I'm not such a huge fan of the male-blow up fantasy. To me, it always felt like the gesture of an impotent. Not fundamentally dissimilar from the terrorist impluse. Nevertheless, I never knew there was a law against criminal mischief. If I'm ever to be charged with a crime - that's the one I want to be charged with.

No comments: