Thursday, August 26, 2010

Economic Stimulus

Ugh. The more I read about the stimulus, the more annoyed I get. Regardless of whether it was a good idea, the execution was horrific.

"Look at the stimulus and the number of jobs we've actually created, and it comes out to a couple million bucks per job created," Hassett told me.

"My idea is simpler. Find the unemployed and hire them."

If the government had spent the stimulus hiring people directly, we could have supported 23 million jobs, Hassett claimed. Hiring millions of unemployed workers directly into government organizations that already exist -- such as the military and the Army Corps of Engineers -- would be a much more efficient use of government funds.


Dude...the government could give me 10 million bucks to make a movie and I'd put to work unemployed actors and production people and I bet the movie would make frigging money.

I'm serious...is this the worst idea in the world? I know they wouldn't give ME the money, but they could directly finance a movie just like they do in Europe and get people working in a viable industry. That plan is way too simple and makes way too much sense.

No comments: