Saturday, October 03, 2009

Yikes

Unemployment numbers are up. And they are especially high if you count discouraged workers, early retirees, or some fraction of people who are working cut-back hours. Scary.

There are signs the economy is recovering as the stock market is picking up. Also, I notice on my job boards an increased amount of activity - again a good sign. However, a lot of folks are still talking about a W shaped recession and speculate we could fall off once again, especially with the APR's on housing coming up and the unimpressive results from the stimulus so far.

I've also noticed price cuts on food. I wonder what that's about. Are gas prices dropping or are grocery stores seeing less business? It wouldn't surprise me as a lot of people buy too much food and let it go bad. It is an easy way to save money - being more economical with food.

No comments: