Friday, October 16, 2009

Knowing Your Limitations

Great real-world example - Mike Nolan. On the 49ers, he was head coach and general manager. (I hate it when people try to do too many jobs, like Ricky Gervais writing, producing, starring, and directing his latest projects). That was the stipulation he required to become our head coach. 5 straight losing seasons and he was replaced by Mike Singletary. I hated Nolan. I hated his play calls, his irritating suits, and his knack for getting players to play hard, but on edge and nervous. He ruined Alex Smith. Ruined him. He sucks ass in my book.

Except he got picked up on the cheap by Denver. A coach fired midseason, he was willing to take any job he could get, I guess. They got him to be defensive coordinator in Denver and he's got those guys playing their asses off into the biggest surprise in the NFL. He's a great success, in the words of Borat.

It reminds me of the Gervais from the British office....

A good reminder about knowing your limitations. I'm making that the theme of my 30s. (ps the theme of my 20s was - be bold and I predict the theme of my 40s will be make money).

No comments: