Friday, October 16, 2009

Student Loans

Yesterday I heard on the radio the student loan rate was somewhere between 6-8%. That seems incredibly high, especially because mortgage rates are in the 5-6% range.

I remember towards the end of the film school the student loan rate was 2.75% and everyone was saying "lock in the rate," since it was super good. Why it is so high now? Aren't interest rates low in an attempt o get liquidity into the market right now? Yet, student loan rates are high. Doesn't quite make sense to me...but I suppose if the Federal Government is starving for cash, they'll go after the students.

In any case, 6-8% is hardly a deal. If you're paying a variable rate and have any cash, I'd pay off the loan. If someone offered me a deal and said your 401k could grow 6-8% a year and you could just lock that rate in...I'd take it.

No comments: