Thursday, March 13, 2008

Worst Thing To Say in LA

Last night I was drinking and talking it up with a few ladies. At some point during the conversation, politics came up... I couldn't help but mention I liked John McCain.

"Are you...a...Republican?" As if it were the worst of all possible things.

"You say it like it's a crime."

"Well..."

"Look, I like Obama, Clinton, and McCain."

"Oh, okay."

But I can't let it go...not once it began. Something in my nature...I can't not pick a fight.

"And I think Bush isn't as bad..."

GASPS.

"As everyone would have you believe."

"Let's change the subject...what do you do again?"

"I really admire Reagan as well."

GASP again. (I think the girl is literally thinking at this moment - I kinda like this guy - I just wish he'd take his foot out of his mouth...)

In a condescending tone. "He's the reason why we have all the homeless."

In a satirical tone. "Reagan caused homelessness?"

"Yes, he let all the mental patients out on the street. Do you not care about the homeless? Are you a Republican?"

It's like the Salem Witch Trials out on the Westside of Los Angeles. I can't support the war, express a liking of a Republican candidate, or say anything against the Democrat party line without being accused of...yes, I used the word "accused" of being a Republican. It's like a goddamn loyalty oath at McCarthy hearing.

"Look, you wanna see my bonafides...I watch the fucking Wire all right."

"Oh...I didn't know."

No comments: