Tuesday, March 18, 2008

If You're Not Who You Are, You Wouldn't Be Who You Are

That seems to me the gist of what Geraldine Ferraro said about Obama.

Her attempt at plain-speak..."He wouldn't be where he was if he wasn't black." Well...yeah...if he wasn't who he is, he wouldn't be who he is. Obama is black. He is a man. If he wasn't black and a man, he wouldn't be who he is. Just like if I wasn't me, I wouldn't be me. And if she wasn't her, she wouldn't be who she is. You see how this all basically says nothing?

We all know her point - he isn't a presidential candidate based upon merit, but one based upon a form of affirmative action. We all know this is what she meant to say. Of course, by that logic, Hillary married into power and George Bush was born into it, as if any of it matters. I believe they call it an ad hominen argument.

To paraphrase Snoop, "Deserve ain't got nothing to do with it."

No comments: