Thursday, March 20, 2008

Bad, but also REALLY Good

There are a few mistakes I make over and over. One of those is taking a nap when I'm sleepy at around 6:30-7pm and waking up at 9ish. I've repeated this mistake many times in my life and inevitably find myself unable to fall asleep until the wee hours of the morning. Last night, this occurred, and I ended up watching 4 of the 5 parts of the CBS mini-series COMANCHE MOON.

First off, it was a TV movie, which meant they couldn't afford A-list actors or directors. It is a adaptation of McMurty's prequel to LONESOME DOVE by McMurty and Diana Ossana. They got Steve Zahn and Val Kilmer and the rest are B and C listers who are pretty unimpressive. There are many awkward scenes and unfunny attempts at humor. In short, it is bad.

But the material and characters are SOOOOO good. How else could I watch so many consecutive episodes? And I'm thinking about the story and characters and people all day. Maybe the mini-series ruins the book...but who cares? The audiences aren't the same. The story is being told, albeit in a clunky, imperfect way. There are some brilliant moments and loads of great characters, poorly performed. Oh well.

No comments: