Saturday, March 25, 2006

V for Vendetta

Uhhh. So the action scenes are pretty badass. The second action sequence, in which V goes into the television station is awesome. And Tarantino says action directors are the best directors...so....

I'll stop there. I feel relieved that the great American action movie has yet to be made, so that I can one day be involved with the making of it...the New Yorker review gets the movie pretty much right.

As a note, it's become almost the easiest cliche in hollywood to make a big, bad totalitarian government into the bad guy. At one time, I suppose, it was revolutionary - like in 1950 - with the original Manchurian Candidate. But all the paranoia and supposed parallels to our current world demonstrate the basic sophistication with which teenagers might analyze US or British or Western government policies.

And what was with the bizarro anti-gay fears? This of course comes at a time when homosexuals are have more voice and rights than ever, so I'm not sure if this is supposed to be some sort of warning and to who? And sorry to be a prude, but when the hero is blowing up buildings for symbolic reasons comes pretty motherfucking close to an Al Queda endorsement, which I'm not really willing to buy into, ahora. But thank god for the closeted gay tv guy who reads the koran for poetic reasons. What would we do without him!

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, the thing that bugged me the most in the movie were the long dialog scenes. I mean - this was an action movie, right? I'm sitting there thinking - let's fuck some people up - and I'm watching V talking about Shakespeare and all this other shit to a bald Natalie Portman. Gimme a break. Make your references if you want, but do through character or situations, not cheap references that proves you read McBeth in 11th grade. Quoting Shakespeare doesn't make the film into a smart movie.

Anyhow, the films got some style and they stole the idea for the ending of our visual expression project - and they have this cool domino thing that makes no sense for the plot, but was still cool. I enjoyed watching the movie, but I wouldn't say it really has any personality, good ideas, or adds anything interesting or insightful to the world - it's just sensory fun, part time.

No comments: