Thursday, March 09, 2006

Generation Y

This guy is secretly out there hanging with Gen Y. I guess I'm at the cross-roads between Gen Y and X...and I'm not moonlighting yet with that generation, but I have noticed things, like fewer jerk-offs...

With respect to technology and how they use it, I feel slightly intimidated in my game class (mostly undergrads-as young as freshman) when the teacher says, oh, just whip up a power point - yeah, fix the images in photoshop, just use viseo. i "get" these programs and when I sit down to use them, can manage pretty well. But it's a little role-reversal for me, when I worked with the old ladies at the travel office - and I would say, just search for the document, forward the email, etc, the response would often be panicked expressions, like "holy shit," I'm not sure what that means.

Anyhow, that's me sometimes in class...

Last night I was impressed while working with my group, how quick this one guy was with photoshop, quickly adapting images to our presentation. I will say, however, that my filmmaking background and general logistical, organization of images and story abilities were tremendously helpful towards getting our presentation to make sense. At times, I felt like a little bit of a bully - put this here, this there, no we have to use this, not that, but in the end, most of the group came to understand how to visually represent our concepts with what we had, and they were doing it themselves by the end, arguing details, and I could just sit back and admire my handiwork like the fat puke-o-rama kid in Stand By Me.

Alas...

No comments: