Monday, March 27, 2006

Student Protests on TV

I'm struck by a couple things:

1. Why do "illegal" immigrants feel as though they have a right to be in this country? I don't think any rational person thinks we should have wide open immigration to anyone who wants to be here, much less the obligation to grant rights freely if you happen to be able to escape the border patrol.

2. At the same time contributing members of society should not be treated as second class citizens or live in fear of being deported. I realize this can be an inherent conflict with #1. But are the protests focused on this element? I tend to think it's more focused on issue #1, which doesn't seem right to me.

3. There were a lot of Mexican flags. What is this all about? I don't think it has to do with primarily identifying themselves as Mexican. I'd be willing to bet, if actually given the choice, they'd prefer to live in America and be an American any day. The Mexican flag waving is some type of idealic pride - a recognition of cultural affinity with Mexico, but not, for instance, a vote of approval for the Mexican government over the government of the US. I'm not sure. It also probably has something to do with feeling outside of the mainstream US, of not feeling assimilated, and then harkening back to some other "in-group" association that doesn't, I would say, truly exist, but acts as a sort of national surrogate for an alienated individual. I mean, isn't that what nationalism is all about anyway?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

(i'm not sure where i stand on the issue as a whole, but) it seems to me that if they want their landlords here to accept them, a better tactic would be hoisting U.S. flags to convey the message 'we like this place and want to stay (at least for a while)'. maybe it is presumptuous of (white) me to recommend actions for (hispanic) them, maybe there are pride issues that i can't relate to, but trying to endear themselves as Americans is a better avenue than trying to establish themselves expatriated Mexicans.

in other news, the Kickers FC have righted themselves and taken hold of second place. (though neither dave swift nor greg arnold managed to keep your email or number, so you might drop them a line so you can get on the mailing list.)
ben@benfunkelongboards.com