Friday, March 31, 2006

Masa

I've invaded Chuck's "Cheers," becoming Frazier to his Norm. Masa is a nice little restuarant in Echo Park down the street for his house. The last time I went, I was intrigued by the Chicago Style Pizza, but it takes an hour preparation. Last night, Phil and I preordered from home.

As we went in, we identified ourselves as the "guys who ordered the pizza." At the table, we were recognized by the wait staff as the "guys who ordered the pizza." We were asked a few moments before the pizza arrived, "are you guys ready for the pizza?" The pizza chef came out and served us the pizza, noticing Phil's Cubs hat, he asked, "From Chicago?" Phil nodded. He was impressed.

We ate the pizza. I thought it was pretty good. Spinach, mushroom, and sausage. They make their own crust - but then again, I guess everyone does...but it had a bakery, buttery feel/taste. I'm a fan of thin crust pizza, but this thick crust was good. The pizza chef comes out again after Phil and I each enjoyed a piece.

"How is it?"

"Good," I say.

"It's fine," says Phil.

"Fine?"

"Yeah, I'm full."

"You're full? Is that what you would say to a musician who just did a song..." he stopped. There was little point in trying to argue your way to a customer appreciating your pizza. "Idiot," he probably thought.

Anyhow, Masa has huge portions. I just ate the leftover pizza for breakfast. I like the place, but always end up spending about $15 for dinner - not bad for going out, but a little more expensive than I want to spend on an average evening. They are open late and coffee is good, on the mild side.

No comments: