Monday, March 06, 2006

Here's To Kirby

Kirby Puckett died today from a stroke. He was 45.

I never liked the Twins. But I always liked Puckett. I have his rookie card - 1985 topps. He was one of those players who was always better than his stats - and his stats were always good.

Somehow the Puckett Twins were always better than they looked on paper. I don't know what it is about some athletes, but they carry something with them, maybe it's attitude, but I think it might be better characterized as an aura, that you sense while watching them play - that their team is going to win or at the very least, put up a damn good fight ALL the time. Puckett was one of those players.

If you've played sports, it's those teams that are difficult to beat. They aren't flashy, they don't wow you, they don't even really intimidate you. You feel like you ought to win, but then time after time, they get the better of you...I've been on those teams and played against those teams. The Twins are like that (even post Puckett). The Tom Brady New England Patriots are like that in football. The Pistons both of Joe Dumars and Ben Wallace are like that in bball.

Anyhow, here's to Kirby.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I second this thought. I have very clear memories of Kirby beating up on the Atlanta Braves. Guy was a great baseball player.