Friday, March 31, 2006

Is It Just Me...

Or are the 9/11 families growing just a tad bit annoying. Why does it seem like they are in constant litigation? There are ways to be digified about grief.

I'm growing tired of this resurgent blame game about 9/11, how the 911 operators didn't handle the situation well. I mean, maybe the 911 operators are idiots, I'm willing to believe nearly all phone-call customer service type jobs are not stacked with our best and brightest (don't get me started about my 40 min phone call with SBC Yahoo yesterday) but PLEASE, how would the best of all service operators have handled airplanes being flown into buildings? I don't imagine they were trained for terrorist attacks on huge buildings. And could they have reasonably expected to save additional lives? If so, should we punish people for failing to do so?

I've said it 100 times. While 9/11 COULD have been prevented on many levels - US policy tougher and more brutal with Al Queda, tighter FBI practices, our country was simply not AWARE during the 1990s of the Islamicist threat. The people most worried about it were considered "chicken littles," constantly worried about the sky falling. We didn't imagine some dudes in caves being a threat to the US. We were used to being worried about the Soviet Empire and that had collapsed. Why would we worry about these incompetent nutjobs. I mean, there's been anti-American Islamic terrorists around since the 1980s and they had yet to attack the mainland. The Politically Correct thing to say when the topic of Islamic Terrorists came up was something about Oklahoma City.

It's important for us to accept that tragedy happens and not everything is preventable. That being said, after 9/11, there's no reason to keep up the illusion that Al Queda and Islamicism is not THE major threat to the United States, and will be for the forseeable future.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

No comments: