Thursday, November 10, 2005

Sans Coffee

After studying Trainspotting in my script analysis class, I become inspired by one of Sic Boy's tactics - to quit herion just to show to Rent how easily he could do it. Since I don't do herion, I chose coffee, not because I have a problem, but just to see if I could do it. I told myself, no coffee for a week. Then, just to make it more fun, I said no soda also. I've missed coffee more than soda and today was a big test because the week is over tomorrow and I was at the Getty this AM, right after the rain and it was cool and around 10:30am and the only food place open was a coffee cart and I saw this lady sitting with a cup of Joe and it looked perfect, this clear morning sky, cool air at the Getty, a view of LA, perhaps read a few pages of Atlas Shrugged. Man. But I told myself no coffee until friday, that's it, don't whine about or think about, just do it.

And so I didn't.

UPDATE: Funke makes a good point. When I say "not because I have a problem," it almost incidates the exact opposite....so maybe I do. I wonder what indicating that perhaps I do have a problem indicates?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

first, well in for the idea to quit. second, though, is "not because i have a problem". that's probably what sic boy would have said about smack. i'm not saying you do or don't, but an interesting observation stated in an objective way, despite (my contention) that it is about something which you cannot be particularly objective.


also, the period is outside the quotation marks on purpose. just my little statement for putting punctuation where it should go, not where centuries old printing techniques required it to go.