Sunday, November 13, 2005

Good Things About Jarhead

Well, the best thing about Jarhead was that it showed the preview for Spielberg's new movie, Munich. All those who know me, know I'm not the hugest Spielberg fan. I think he's a tremendously talented filmmaker, but that he generally picks safe topics because his deepest fear is that people won't like him. Now, it looks as though Spielberg is putting his talents to a controversial topic - the Israeli response to the Munich massacre by the Black September Palestinian nationalist movement, when Israel decided to assassinate everyone involved with the plot. The story follows those characters. Badass! This is the most excited I've been for a Spielberg film since Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. That's saying a lot considering I am no longer 10 years old.

I know some will compare this project to Schindler's List. Fair enough. I happen to be much more interested in this topic and frankly, don't think the Holocaust genre is very interesting, nor is the Holocaust a subject that can adequately be dealt with by movies. Also, it'll be a lot more interesting.

Gotta respect filmmakers who are keeping us on our toes....Spielberg is tackling a subject that I believe to be the most important of our age, how a country must sometimes compromise it's own values to do the right thing. It sounds like a movie about moral choices. Hoo ha.

Also, there was one nice set piece in Jarhead - the raining oil.

No comments: