Friday, November 04, 2005

DV

David Lynch said he'll never shoot on film again - only DV (that's right, not HD, but DV). Interesante...

UPDATE: First off, wonderful comments, it's good to see random comments from folks interested in movies. Regarding the Digital vs. specifically DV comment. I'm basing this on what Lynch said last night in a talk at USC. He said specifically DV. He may have misspoke. But in this article, he again points specifically to DV and to what properties of DV (looking like early 35mm film without tight grain) are attractive to him. I am writing this after coming back from a telecine session for a film shot on Super 16 that, skip bleached, shot on old expired stock and the grain was almost non-existent. We wanted grain and thought that shooting with old stock and skipping would give us some. Again, it goes to what Lynch is talking about, the dreamyness of the image.

Now, unfortunately, I have not seen a lot of blown up to 35mm DV features. All of the DV features I've watched have been DVD. This is something on my short list to do (maybe Inland Empire will be the one), but based upon what Lynch talks about in the article, we could possibly be witnessing a major artistic shift in the capture medium of film. I'm not saying Hollywood will jump on the bandwagon, but there are a lot of upsides to DV that I'm not sure any longer can be countered by simply saying "the image isn't as good." Well, the image isn't 35mm, that's for sure, but this idea of "good" is the notion under discussion.

The description of Lynch going around shooting sounds similar to experiments Godard has theorized about and tried with video, albeit to not much commerical success.

1 comment:

Wiley said...

Everything I've read so far has specifically said DV, which perplexed me. Maybe you're right and he's talking about HD. I hope so at least.