Monday, October 24, 2005

The Story of the Red Pick Up

Find a Picture Vehicle, Part II: Undeterred from my failure, I drive down the street. Out of the corner of my eye I see a perfect pick up truck in the driveway of a residential street. I turn off. I look down the street, three more perfect pick up trucks sitting in front of houses. Unbelievable. I see a red one with a "for sale" sign. I make the phone call and leave a message. I am too scared to knock on people's doors. Unfortunately, the types with the pick ups we need also carry guns and are wary of strangers. I move on.

The next gas station is a Valero. I enter. The phone rings. I exit.

"You called about the red pick up?"

I explain what I need. The young man says he'll talk to his brother and get back to me by noon. A good sign.

I reenter the Valero. A thirty-ish woman, at least six feet tall stands behind the counter. She has a mullet. Her shorts ride high. She has some type of hick tee shirt on. Perfect.

"Are you from around here?"

"Yes."

"I have a weird request. Do you know anyone with an old pick up truck interested in making a $100 tomorrow for 3 hours of driving around and being in a movie?"

She thinks for a moment. "No, but maybe my boyfriend does. He works down the street at Palmers. Go down there and ask for Guy."

This woman has a boyfriend? Eee gawd. How does she have a boyfriend and I not have a girlfriend? Not enough time for these thoughts.

"Thanks. Do you have any 5 gallon jugs of gasoline?"

"No - maybe down at the Arco."

No comments: