Saturday, October 29, 2005

I Never Thought I'd Say It, But

Today there is a huge need for ideas on political philosophy. Here is a scathing article by the Claremont Institute on the emptyness of liberal political philosophy.

I tend to agree with a lot of the sentiment in the article. I think it is the challenge for liberals to come up with a "pitch," or a summary in a few short sentances about what it means to believe in liberal government and also what type of government liberals stand against.

The article argues that liberals are good at policies and have policies on everything, but lack a overall "narrative" or idea that bonds these ideas together into something coherent. It is why we have trouble finding candidates and recently, of winning elections.

If you had asked me in 1998-99, when I was deciding on what to major in college if I thought by Politics, Philosophy, and Economics degree was going to be relevent, I wouldn't have been too optimistic. "Just something to major in," I would've said. But today, I do think the subject is terribly important. Maybe I'll have to dust off my Rawls and Nozick and Dworkin and to some re-reading.

No comments: