Monday, October 10, 2005

Kayne West Doesn't Care About Pakistani People

I hate to be that guy to bring up the hypocracy, but where's the Kayne West telethon for the Pakistani victims?

By any moral standard, it is clear this earthquake is worse (way worse) than Hurricane Katrina. 1,000 dead compared to 30,000+. But Kanye West doesn't care. Why is that? Is it because he's not Pakistani? Those are MY people out there. MY people. Yeah.

On the same note, Mrs. Coggins doesn't seem much to notice the suffering of others, unless the TV news channels are saturated with images - but she's perfectly willing to dole out accusations directed at those of us who don't believe victimization and self-pity equate to kindness or morality.

I noticed today in SPO, a Pakistani girl asked that we make up a contribution box (like we did for Hurricane Katrina) for the Pakistani victims. How could we say no? We'll see how much money comes in. I was embarassed about the other contribution box, which I said, quote, "Is more about cinema students feeling better about themselves than about helping anyone in New Orleans." I remember also saying, "I don't know what is worse - if this donation box for change is a joke or serious."

Anyhow, not even I, the svengali of SPO forsaw the Pakistani earthquake, which would embarass the hell out SPO and the I-want-to-feel-good-about-myself (instead of actually doing good) cinema students. Now I have to see hypocracy that I didn't wish upon myself staring at me in the face every day as we have a change box that no one donates money to because a) they don't know what happened in Pakistan or b) I'm just a poor cinema student. The US government should donate money, not me.

Lastly, I'd like to say that it is the fault of George Bush and the US being in Iraq that the Pakistani victims are without shelter and food and clean water right now. This is obvious. If we hadn't spend $87 billion on the war, we could have built better earthquake resisant buildings all around Pakistan to prevent all these deaths. The army core of engineers, if they paid any attention to Pakistan, could have known their buildings were earthquake safe. They are to blame.

How is this different logic that the arguments floated by folks during Katrina. Explain to me, people.

No comments: