Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Negs and Targets

A pick up artist writes a book on how to meet chicks. Great.

Why do these type of guys annoy me so much? Is it because I'm jealous? That's certainly the easy answer. But there's something about trying so hard that rubs me wrong - it might be my norcal take-it-easy attitude shining through.

A similar thing bugs me about Script Analysis, breaking down a screenplay or story into these little rules and strategies and Robert McKee and all of it makes me want to puke up Starburst.

I know that treating dating like a part time job will lead to more dates, and will lead to getting laid more. If one says to oneself, "I am getting a date for Friday" and they stick to the plan, they will be successful.

The same thing goes for getting in shape - it takes discipline and commitment, like a job. When I played soccer in SF, I had two games a weekend and one practice a week, it was like having a part time job. People depended on you showing up and being responsible. It was tough, but had some big rewards as well.

There's only so much time one can devote to these things...if you work really hard at school or your job and you want to work out and you want to have a social life AND you want to date chicks and you want to read books, see the newest movies, learn Arabic, and play tennis, fish, travel, and on and on, how many of these things are you supposed to treat "professionally?"

I suppose there is something to be taken away from these type of things, but the minute I catch myself reading a book about how to pick up women, it'll either induce involutary vomiting or require stabbing myself in the stomach.

No comments: