Thursday, March 17, 2005

Being Mean on Purpose

A little debate on the blogosphere about whether certain crimes are so heinous that the victim deserves to be tortured and pain inflicted upon them before being killed.

The money quote:

I am being perfectly serious, by the way. I like civilization, but some forms of savagery deserve to be met not just with cold, bloodless justice but with the deliberate infliction of pain, with cruel vengeance rather than with supposed humaneness or squeamishness. I think it slights the burning injustice of the murders, and the pain of the families, to react in any other way.


Here's the thing - I can relate to the position, the feeling that someone did something so horrible, simple death isn't enough....BUT, and this is a big BUT, I don't trust any goverment or any bureaucracy or any group to actually pull this off in a legitimate way. There are too many variables that get mixed in the real world, prejustice, differing POVs, etc...I mean, this goes back to the Arafat post - you could find thousands of Americans and Israelis who would have loved to see the man tortured and killed. But come on, that's the worst side of us, no?

No comments: