Monday, September 06, 2004

Never Been Kissed

Last night I had dinner at a friend's. We lazily watched part of Never Been Kissed (there wasn't much on TV). It was atrocious. I was paying attention to the production value of the film and it looked so cheap. Drew Barrymore, David Arquette, some teenage stars were in the film. Do people just go to film to see certain personalities...and not very compelling personalities at that. The film was about a dorky Drew Barrymore, a young investigative reporter given an assignment to go back to high school and do a piece on cool kids. So she goes back and well, I didn't see much more, I fell asleep.

Sometimes, when I'm dead tired, I get into lame-cheesy movies, whatever-is-on-TV type of stuff. Zoolander made me laugh a lot a couple months ago...despite being tired of the whole frat pack, ben stiller thang. Never Been Kissed was not one of these movies.

UPDATE: This is a funny and unexpected comment, being that I think most of my readers are film students...or is this a film student playing a joke?

Well, perhaps I'm heartless, or maybe I've seen way too many sentimental films to have formulaic plots and subpar acting and sloppy production design get my juices flowing...I don't think having a heart means being a sap. And I honestly can't believe I'm even talking about Never Been Kissed this much.

And a bitter idiot. Now that's just mean. I wonder why it has to get so personal? Can't people have different tastes? Or more accurately, can't someone have taste and not get insulted by those who don't?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're a bitter idiot, that's a good movie. OK, it ain't 'the wedding singer" but it's miles better than something like "50 first dates" You've got no heart Mr. public musings.