Sunday, September 19, 2004

FoxNews

Is a sympton, not the problem, according to this article. Partisan news as a marketplace reaction to the failure of regular media in the post-9/11 years.

I've seen this firsthand. I couldn't read newspapers after 9/11 because they gave no new information. Newspapers and TV news have been getting away with laziness and crap for years, because nothing vital to our lives occurred. People watched the news to stay informed, but not because we HAD to. 9/11 changed that. We needed to know what was happening. And I for one, needed to have a better explanation as to what was happening the world than the SF Chronicle or LA Times or CNN could provide. I turned to blogs - which are sort of what FoxNews and the NY Times have turned into.

Blogs have personality and are unabashedly partisan. They don't claim to be objective and don't want to be objective. News media is coming around, which I'm not sure is a good thing.

No comments: