Sunday, March 09, 2014

Martini Experiments

What I've learned thus far:

Ketel One or Belvedere are perfectly good vodkas.  Either works great.

Martini Brand Vermouth works well and is reasonably priced.

The olives, thus far, have proven the biggest distinguishing factor.

#1 best olive: Castelvetrano Green Olive.  The only problem is the pit.  But the olive and brine is amazing.

#2 olive: the very serviceable Manzanilla Star Spanish Olive.  I like the size and taste of these olives -- they are small - and tasty.  I can eat 4 with a single martini.

#3 olive: the classic Pimento Martini Olive made by Santa Barbara Olive Co.  These work fine, but are my least favorite.  The size is right, but the flavor, only average.

Way to make it:

The ratio I'm currently working with: 6 parts vodka, 1 part vermouth, 1 part olive brine.  It works.  I often eyeball and probably use a lesser ratio at times - up to 8 parts vodka. I will continue to fiddle with ratios, maybe not adding olive brine occasionally.

Pour into a martini shaker with lots of ice.  Stir or shake - A LOT - the more the merrier.

Now here is the key -- let the martini sit in the shaker for a bit -- get it super, ice cold.  Cool the glasses, if convenient.

When you can't resist anymore, pour the martini.  I love it super cold and even if a little bit of the ice has melted -- adds to the smoothness -- maybe getting a little chard of ice in there, even better.

For such a simple drink, there are so many variations I want to further try --

The foremost experiment to dabble with gin - either Bombay Sapphire or Tanqueray. Maybe others.

The secondary experiment is to try different Vermouth's. Dolin Vermouth is number 1 on my list to try.

I'd also like to experiment with a "filthy" martini using caper brine rather than olive brine.


No comments: