Wednesday, March 05, 2014

Logging

TV: True Detective Ep. 7

Really enjoyed the scenes between Marty and Rust getting back together.  Seeing Marty become a good detective (clearly influenced by Rust) and Rust acting kind - great stuff.  It reminded me of something I read in a Larry McMurtry book - I'm guessing Streets of Laredo - about Call coming to miss his enemies over time.  I always found that idea poignant.

If there is a flaw with the show at this point, I'd have to point to the mystery itself.  The internet seems to be exploding with crazy theories which all sound completely ridiculous.  I guess one of the drawbacks I'm feeling is that I don't feel a strong emotional need to stop the killer(s).  Nor do I expect there to be a holy-fucking-shit "she's my mother, she's my sister" moment.  The show is a little light on the thriller aspect of the mystery.  The whodunnit is intellectual at this point and a part of my mind is skeptical of the idea of this satanic cult kidnapping young children and performing child sacrifice.  For a show that is mostly grounded with some trippy elements, the whole rich-guys-doing-crazy-as-shit is a bit unsatisfying.  But who knows, maybe they've got something up their sleeve.

No comments: