Saturday, March 29, 2014

Logging

Film:  Noah

Not a good film.  When the rocks came to life into Transformer-like creatures about 10 minutes in the film lost me.  The CGI snakes were so unscary, I couldn't help but miss the snake scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark.  I don't know if they used all real snakes or what the hell they did - but those snakes felt real and scary.  These computer images are like watching a video game.  Sure, there are a few good moments, a some good editing as to be expected by Aronofsky, but boy, just not a good movie.  I fell asleep for a little bit.

Being in LA and in the movie-biz, I feel something is off...like we've all forgotten how to make enjoyable, popular films.  I get the pervading sense people making movies from the filmmakers to the executives to everyone in between doesn't much believe in the product anymore.  There's just something off, as if filmmakers are disconnected from the audience -- like we're trying to tell a story to people unlike ourselves.

Restaurant: Night + Market

New one, opened in Silver Lake.  Spicy!  Thai food served by hipsters.  How quaint.  But I'd go back, it was damn good -- and I live right next to Thai town.  No booze served.  Keeps the bill more reasonable, but there's nothing like a nice beer to complement spicy Asian food.  

No comments: