Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Inflation

I love how we don't count fuel and food prices in inflation, basically because they are too hard to track.  I was at the grocery store the other day and a block of Tillamook cheese was $7.50.  Awful expensive, I thought.

I'm a mixed thinker on food.  On the one hand, I noticed prices are going up recently, on the other, food is so much better today with more options and better quality than even when I was a kid -- so in some sense, we are getting better value.  But that might be unique to LA, whose food scene has become awesome in the past 10 years or so.

But in my hometown up in Norcal, now all the grocery stores are insanely expensive.  Whole Foods is practically low end.  But that goes along with some disturbing trends in the Bay Area with housing/rental prices, etc.

No comments: