Monday, March 03, 2014

A Thought on Hipsters

I suppose there is some societal benefit to a few adults remaining youthful or even child-like.  These adults are often good at acting or coaching sports teams or teaching kindergarten or making music.  Society benefits from a few of these kind of people.  I am reminded of this when actors give their Oscar speeches - like Jared Leto's incompressible nonsense and the 12 Years A Slave girl talking about following dreams and all that.  But society also needs adults.  And I imagine we need a lot more adults than overgrown children.  We need people to cure disease, do taxes, make laws, build bridges, fight wars, and things like that.  But of course, we don't have Oscars for that.  No one gets an award for paying rent.  No one gets an award for taking care of a sick relative.  No one gets an award for adequately saving for retirement.

So, I think when people have issues with hipsters, this is the crux of it.  I think adults who work sub-optimal jobs (in terms of their personal enjoyment) in order to make sure they can pay for college for their kids or shelter for their parents who can no longer work, don't have a ton of patience for a culture that looks down on their squareness.  Cause ultimately, isn't that really what hipsterism amounts to?  Looking down on mainstream culture and replacing it with records and other retro items?

Now that I've written this post, I'm not sure it makes any sense.  I'm still posting it because maybe I'll come back to the idea someday.

No comments: