Thursday, June 28, 2012

Well...

The Supreme Cour upholds Obamacare, barely.  They cite Congresses right to tax people without insurance.

I've tried following this thing a little bit and don't understand the impact.  As far as I can tell, the changes to the current system are:

1.  Kids are under their parents until 26
2.  Insurance companies cannot deny for pre-existing conditions
3.  Everyone who can afford it, must buy health insurance or face a fine

I don't see how this changes much.  The issue with healthcare is the ridiculous cost.  I fail to see how forcing a few more people into the pool helps with the cost.  Spreading out the cost would work if the expenses were stagnant, but they aren't stagnant nor transparent.  I imagine the costs increase of covering everybody will ultimately fall on the rich and upper middle class in some way or another.

Good analysis here at the Atlantic.

No comments: