Monday, June 25, 2012

No Such Thing As "Having It All"

A good response to the ludicrous, overwritten cover story on the Atlantic this week.  I particularly like the following examples as to why people cannot "have it all."
Imagine if this article had been written by a kindergartner: "But I want to go to my gymnastics class and I want to go Rosie's birthday party and they're both on Saturday morning!" rails the 5-year-old journalist. "Why can't girls have it all? This is so unfair! Somebody has to make it possible for socially ambitious girls like me to be at gymnastics and Rosie's party! The solution is to accommodate me by moving Rosie's party or the time of my gymnastics class. I want justice, because no girl should ever have to feel trapped like this!"
and this:
Would a man be taken seriously if he wrote a 15,000-word article stating that he's entitled to both marriage and the freedom to have sex with any woman he wants? Or would he be told to grow up and get real?
I'm reminded of the Seinfeld episode when Banya puzzles with Jerry whether to eat their second meal at Mendy's or try a new place. Jerry grows annoyed and says "I get it. You go to Mendy's and it'll be good, but the same. If you go somewhere else, it'll be different, but maybe not as good. It's a risk, I GET IT!

 Speaking of Seinfeld, this is a very funny article.

No comments: