Friday, June 15, 2012

Logging

Film:  Your Sister's Sister

Can I have my money back?  God, $15 for this type of film plus $6 popcorn should be criminalized.  I'm such a sucker.  I just couldn't stand to see Snow White and the Huntsmen again and this was playing at the same time.  I figured - how bad can it be?  These kind of mumblecore films are so contemptuous of story and so incredibly self indulgent, in pains me to think or talk about them.  I thought maybe Rosmarie DeWitt (one of my favorite actresses) could be watchable for 90 minutes.  But, when you have to suffer through characters doing nonsensical things, it just bores one to death.  This is a films that generates drama through characters withholding information from one another for no reason.  Why is Duplass spying on DeWitt when he arrives?  Why do they lie about sleeping with one another.  Really - what is the big deal?  In the end, everyone finds out anyway and then they'll apologize to one another.  That's what these films always end up being about - apologizing.  Come to think about it, so do Curb Your Enthusiasm episodes.  All this improv ends up in the same place.

No comments: