Thursday, June 02, 2011

The Last Great Deal

When was the last time you found a "great deal?" I can't remember. Maybe the first time I tried In and Out. Or Neil Young's Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere vinyl for $1 at a garage sale. Occasionally a book on amazon for $4.

Yesterday, I came home midafternoon from the airport and decided to take the bus from LAX to my house, which I knew offered service since I live right off Lincoln. You take a shuttle to the bus station and can hop onto a number 3 bus. It was fairly painless. I got home in 45 minutes after my plane landed. Cost - $1. Shuttles cost $20 plus tip and take almost as long. Taxi probably costs $30. Rides are free, but tough to get midday during the week and end up costing the other person something in gas. Yes, you can't beat the bus. The only problem is that I suppose it works a lot better during the day than at some awkward time. But still, what kind of deal is 20-30 times less expensive than the alternatives? (Taxi is not a fair comparison because it is way more convenient).

No comments: