Monday, June 06, 2011

One Wonders

Here is Andrew Sullivan's line on Weinergate.

The country is facing potential default, the leader of the GOP is a delusional maniac, the Middle East remains on a knife edge ... and the question in the headline above is still ringing in my ears.

Weiner has not resigned and, frankly, I see little reason why he should. No one, so far as I can tell, was harrassed, no one was abused, no actual sex even took place at all. I'm not sure one can even find any hypocrisy here. Moreover, if online flirting is unforgivable, why isn't off-line flirting unforgivable? And what really is the difference? Apart from pictures that can be used to humiliate - and even blackmail.


Really? This is the same guy who has been trying to prove for the past two years that Sarah Palin's retarded baby belongs to her daughter. Now he thinks minimizing the weiner story is the right approach. Jeez.

I'm no Palin fan, but who cares if the baby belongs to Bristol? Isn't that kind of thing common - teenage mother gives baby to parents to raise? I fail to see why this constitutes a big deal, especially because it constitutes a harmless lie and is obviously designed for the kid to be raised in a healthy manner.

Sending unsolicited boner-pics to college students, while not exactly harmful, does not strike me as a thing worth covering up. Man...it is basically impossible to write about this thing without double entendres coming up everywhere (see what I mean).

No comments: