Thursday, June 16, 2011

Soderbergh

Gotta appreciate the guy being candid on his plans to retire.

"I'm not better at things that I've been trying to get at and I find it frustrating," he said. Asked what he's trying to discover, he said, "A new grammar, maybe. I haven't quite figured out what it is. In lieu of some gigantic epiphany I might feel when I see this new thing I imagine is out there, I feel like I am out of ideas. I find myself saying, I've done this shot before. Or, I've solved this problem before by doing the same thing I'm doing now. I don't like that feeling of, 'I've done this.' If you are dealing within the confines of traditional narrative filmmaking, it's hard not to feel like you're in a box after awhile."


I wonder why he isn't interested in telling one last great story. Maybe he isn't interested in film on that level. In other words, why not write something?

No comments: