Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Laaammmmeee!

Man, what a great topic for a long form sports essay: Ichiro and what a horrible execution. Grantland - this was a swing and a miss. I don't even know what the guy is talking about half the time. Herein lies the problem with Simmons-esque reporting. There are no boundaries. It is a delicate thing to be loose and unstructured and incorporate fandom into essay writing and when you're a lame-o academic-y writer, it becomes insufferable. Further confirms to me race is the most boring of all topics. Nevertheless, he is still talking about Ichiro, one of the most interesting and watchable players out our time.

I was at this game:

In an April game in Oakland, he unleashed a throw from right field that traveled at a seemingly impossible low and accurate trajectory to nail a stunned Terrence Long at third base. After the game, a bewildered Long told reporters, "I'm not the fastest guy in the world, but that's got to be the best throw I've ever seen."


I thought it was opening day. I can't remember. But I remember being excited to watch Ichiro play - hit mostly - and this play happened early on in the game. There are very few amazing plays I've witness in person...in fact...this may be the only one. I remember watching and being in shock. It had the - wait a second...did that just happen? feel to it.

No comments: